Friday, March 10, 2006

Something New For the Blog

I have often heard someone say something that makes me start thinking about where it came from. Starting tonight, I will address and hopefully entertain people with the definitions or origins of these strange phrases. Tonight, I'll be starting with "Under the Bus"

I've often heard the Love of My Life say that someone threw her under the bus, or that she was going to throw me under the bus, and I wondered what that meant.

I looked it up, and upon further review, I've seen the definition to roughly be this:

to sacrifice some other person, usually one who is undeserving or at least vulnerable, to make personal gain.


I believe it is a term used to mean to sacrifice someone, be they deserving or not, but I also think it doesn't really have to involve personal gain.

I also believe that this phrase could be some sort of revision of "thrown to the wolves", as they both seem to have the same effect on those being thrown.

Why under the bus though? Would it do more damage being thrown under the bus than in front of it?

We may never know the answers to these complicated questions, but I will keep searching for answers to hopefully entertain most of you with, for as long as you'll read them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under the bus. In front of the bus. I believe it all would do the same amount of damage. Thank god it's just a term and not a real action. ;)

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I promise I will not throw you under the bus....lol

9:20 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

rach, I dunno...I think to some it is a real action...lol.


redneckgirl, I appreciate that very much, and I promise not to throw you under the bus either :)

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home