Monday, March 06, 2006

Death Tunnel

Well, I got the movie Death Tunnel, and here I will provide a bit of a review of it. If you don't want to know anything about this movie, DO NOT READ ANY FARTHER BELOW!

That being said, let's begin.


Death Tunnel is a move based "very loosely" on true events. Translation, the hospital does exist, some of the stories of the haunting have been told by many, and it is rumored to be haunted. Also, it is true that 5 girls tried to stay the night in the hospital, but I don't believe there were any deaths at that time.

This is a movie about 5 girls who are staying the night in the hospital as part of a sorority initiation. However, the story does seem to be a bit lacking. Basically, the story is uncovered in pieces, with flashbacks to fill in the missing parts of the story. Overall, as far as horror movies go, it really wasn't all that bad, but it did feel like it dragged along, and the ending made no sense to me at all.

Here are some of the high points from the movie that I liked. First, there was a really good song in there but I have yet to find out the title. Also, it was filmed at Waverly Hills...bonus points there. I also loved the first scene, where you see one of the girls get murdered by one of the others. Also, the female lead reminds me a lot of Heather Langenkamp of the Nightmare on Elm Street series.. I also loved a lot of the erie special effects of the movie too.

What I disliked is a longer list. I hated the fact that the girls were in lingerie. Why would anyone go to an abandoned hospital in their lingerie? Even though they explained how they came to be that way, it was still a distraction from the story. Also, one of the girls has a shower scene, and obviously, she at least gets topless. Once again, I can't understand why anyone would do this either, especially in the filth and grime in that place. Also, the girls were taken in and were locked in masks, which was cool, but the one who took the shower had a cigarette and lighter when she removed her mask.

Then the ending was just dumb. The main male and female leads escape from the hospital only to go back in and "look for the cure". What kind of stupidity is this? They closed these places down because the closest thing to a cure was found, so much so that they didn't need to be separated from the world anymore.

Anyhow, it is a movie that should be watched at least once. However, I'm thinking the documentary will be much, much better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww....I am sorry that it didn't live up to your expectations. Although we both know why the half nakedness and the shower scene were there......to help sell the movie. Not exactly practical or logical attire for a haunted TB Hospital....but hey I guess they wanted to look their best...just in case the ghosts were hot. It's kinda like the Jason Movies where the chick was always in the shower and then ends up running through the woods in her towel. In fact I used to be a huge scary movie fan but I feel as if it's all been done before.....none of the new stuff does anything for me cause it's like watching a continuation of some other flick. I am glad that the movie was done in Waverly.....and I too hope the documentary will be better than the movie.

9:43 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

I agree completely. It has all been done before and it's all starting to get old. I was hoping that they would actually try to base the story of this movie around the actual history of the hospital, and I think that's why I was so disappointed. I think the documentary will be better....if we ever get it in Kentucky.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home