Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gas Gouging

Don't you just hate a company that will try to take you for every red penny that you have. I know I do. I especially hate companies that jack up the rates of their gas prices just because they can.

Keeping this in mind, I'm announcing my official ban of Speedway stores. Let me tell you why.

A few days ago, gas was down to $2.01 a gallon....not a good price, but better than I've seen in a very long time. The very next day, gas jumped up to $2.19 a gallon. So much for me saving money on gas that week...one day and it was gone.

Before this particular day, I was a very loyal customer to Speedway, and I even have one of their "Speedy Rewards" cards on my keyring. However, on the day gas jumped up to $2.19 most places, Speedway jacked theirs up to $2.35 a gallon. I couldn't believe it. I was running low on gas, and I would have rather run out of gas than to pay that price, especially when gas was 35 cents cheaper the day before.

I decided it must be a fluke, so I drove into the station, next to the pumps. I should have seen the price as being the same as everyone else, but it was as the road sign displayed...overpriced and all. I drove away thinking I would try another, being that different locations will charge different prices, depending where you are. I drove about 2 miles down the road and saw another Speedway charging the same price. I continued to drive, and saw a BP, who I used to loathe because of their jacked up prices, with gas at $2.17.

You already know I stopped at BP to make my gas purchase. Then I continued my trek to work, and passed 2 more Speedways, all with prices that were jacked way up.

It was then that I decided that I was going to buy gas there no longer. They may be able to price gouge like that, but not with my cash.

I'll still shop there for snacks and money orders, because they have plenty of both for cheap, and I still have points for free stuff on my card, but until they can stay within at least the range that everyone else is, they'll never see another penny from me for gas again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate gas gougers.It seems like more and more are doing it though. Good luck on your ban

Are you nuts. Gas stations are not cheap on snacks. Ever. Try Wal-Mart while you are at the Redneck Bar. Trust me.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home