Thursday, February 09, 2006

When Boys Become Men

I was thinking today. I will be a 33 year old guy tomorrow, and I really feel uncomfortable calling myself a man. I started to wonder why I didn't like that term applied to me, and here's what I came up with.

In my eyes, and by the way I was raised, a man is a strong figure. A man is an inventor, a builder, and a founder. As of tonight, I have not invented anything, founded anything, or built anything. I don't feel particularly strong either.

I think that men have been escalated to tremendous proportions in the past, and that it is almost impossible to live up to the level of the legends that we call our founders.

How would it be possible for a guy like myself to ever compare to the great men in this world?

I really don't know how to make the transition to manhood according to the guidelines that have been set before me, nor do I know if I even really want to. I know I have some very good qualities, and that some people already think I am an amazing man.

I just wonder what I would need to do to make myself realize that I "am" a man, and not just a guy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you are being entirely too hard on yourself. You have so many wonderful qualities that a lot of men do not have....if you take the time to look you will see that too.

10:40 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

You know...I may have never even known I had those qualities if it wasn't for you....I know you don't believe it, but it's very true.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home