Friday, January 27, 2006

My First Relay Call

You all should know by now that I work in tech support. I've been with 2 different companies in almost 4 years, so it may be a safe assumption to say I know a little about what I do.

Well....one thing I have never, ever experienced until tonight was a relay call. For those not in the know, a relay call is where you have an operator tell you that he/she is speaking through a device to a deaf person, and that they require your assistance through the operator in order to fix whatever problem they may have.

As I said before, I have never experienced one of these in all my years of tech support, so it was definitely something new to me.

It all started out good and well as I gathered the info from the operator, and after that, the call went downhill rather quickly. The main reason it went so badly was because the guy on the other end of the phone (the deaf guy) thought he was more experienced and knew more than me....big mistake number 1 for him....you'll find out why as you keep reading.

I was told that he was wanting to create a home network by adding a router into his configuration....usually no big deal. I asked if he was currently online now and was told that he was....yet the modem was not connected. My first troubleshooting issue was how is that possible.

Eventually we got him straightened out as to how and why he was online, and also after many belittling comments toward me....big mistake number 2.

I finally got him connected the way he wanted to be connected, but the router address he gave to me did not match the one connected to his pc. He ended up hanging up, letting me know he was online. Problem is, I couldn't leave it like that, because he didn't have the router he claimed to have, and because I wanted a little payback for my treatment from him. Right before he hung up, I registered the router address he gave me....not the one he had.

Normally, this wouldn't matter much because his modem was already connected and online with the router.

Before he ended the call, I had told the operator to let him know that his internet connection wasn't going to last because the router address that was showing up on his pc was still listed as being used on somebody elses account. He told me he was a tech too, and now that it was working he didn't need my "help" anymore. Then he hung up.

After that, I went about making sure he wouldn't be online by resetting his modem and making it see the new information....which automatically put him back off the internet.

Final score.....Me:1.....Asshole:0

Sometimes it's good to have the power, and what's even better is that what I did wasn't wrong according to the rules of the place I work, so I laugh harder because not only did I still come out on top in the end, but I did it legally :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came upon your blog through your comment on someone else's I frequent. I have to say you gave me a good laugh. I have to hand it to you techie's. I know abit about computers, but not that much and have found myself on the questioning end of a phonecall to my own ISP tech support. Anyway .. nice legal manipulating!

5:54 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

Thanks :)

One thing I can't stand is when someone calls me for help, then second guesses my work....lol...I'm like, you called me. Thanks for the input on the blog too :)

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home