Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sun Poisoning.....Again?!?!

I don't know why I do it sometimes. I mean, I know better, but something inside just says "nah...if you don't, it'll be ok." So I don't do it. Then, I end up in this predicament....again.

Let me explain.

Last year, my sister invites me to go out on their boat, so I go. It was my first time on a boat in many years. It was particularly hot that day, and I wasn't really offered any sunscreen. That night, I experienced firsthand what sun poisoning felt like.

In case you don't know how it feels, it burns really bad at first...I mean really bad. Then, of course it hurts to touch it at all. Then it gets cold. I mean it gets really cold. To help you understand how cold I felt that day, I was wrapped in 2 blankets in 90 degree weather. It was so cold I couldn't stop shaking.

Needless to say, it wasn't something I wanted to experience again. Yet here we are, 1 year later, first time on the boat. This time I "was" offered sunscreen, but what does my dumb ass do? "Nah, I don't need it."

Idiot!!!

So after a few hours on the lake, the burning started. Then I started getting really tired and actually fell asleep in the sun. It has a way of draining your energy when you start burning and just plain wears you out.

Then, we get back to her house, and after awhile I drive home and shower. That's when the cold hit. After my shower, it was like an arctic wind blew right through me, and I started the shivering again.

I called my redneckgirl, and she had me come by and she rubbed me down with some very cold lotion and some kind of spray. I had asked her to microwave the lotion so it wouldn't be so cold, but she didn't think it was a good idea...lol.

We then decided to go to bingo. We didn't win anything, but she rubbed me down again with lotion before I took her home.

Then, Sunday came, and I went back to help her mow the lawn. Once again she rubbed me down with lotion and sunscreen, and we did the work.

It's a good thing she's so caring to me and not someone who would just go around slapping my burns...lol....although she threatened to because I did such a stupid thing :)

I knew once it happened that I had my topic for the day....lol. Hope you all enjoyed it and learned from me as well. Remember kids, sunscreen is not only your friend, but it is necessary! :D

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh youch!
I've done that and now I have a cancerous spot on my head for my troubles.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUCH! We always use sunscreen and go into the shade after awhile, cuz darn that ozone layer is getting thinner. :P
Glad you have such a caring girlfriend to tend to you when you're not feeling well.

6:11 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

ms.l - yikes! I had better be more careful. Seriously, I don't know why the hell I did it. Maybe I am just stupid :)

rach - I am gonna start using sunscreen more. I have to say that she is the best thing to ever happen to me. I do feel lucky to have someone so wonderful to care for me.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one day you'll learn.....maybe next year. :-)

10:50 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

redneckgirl - I really should listen to you more. Maybe next year I will learn my lesson....lol. Thanks so much for taking care of the sunburn for me. You are definitely an angel sent from above :)

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home