Saturday, April 22, 2006

Something To Think About

I recently got the movie "Waiting". It's about a day in the life of a handful of servers in a restaurant atmosphere.

I loved the movie, and could definitely relate to some things in the movie....except for "the game".

Seeing this movie will fill you in more on what I'm saying, and you'll understand more.

Thing is, I used to be in the service industry. In a way, I still am. What many people don't realize is that it isn't a wise idea to fuck with people who are serving you.

The worst case in point is a restaurant setting. If you come in, and are being rude or mean, the server will be offended. The movie shows some of the things we do as servers to get back at asshole customers, and believe me, while they never know....it isn't for the faint of heart.

I myself have never had to do anything like the people in this movie did, but I have seen it happen before, and I believe it was justified based on the behavior of the customer.

Before any of you start getting mad at me, check this out. I believe that as a customer, you are supposed to behave a certain way towards those who provide you service. As a person, you may have had a bad day. Don't take this out on your server. As a customer, your life may be very shitty with a slim chance of getting better....don't take this out on your server.

As a customer, you have a responsibility to treat your service people the way you yourself would want to be treated. Thinking you are above them, and treating them badly is a sure way to get your food handled inappropriately.

I feel very bad for people in the restaurant business because they have to endure those types of people. I have to sometimes in this job of tech support. Of course, my way to combat that is kill em with kindness, because in the end, I usually get them fixed and leave them looking dumb anyway.

I also think people should get credit where credit is due. For instance, I usually like to try to tip good. I leave at least 15%, which most people would say is fair. This is only if the service was bad or just par. If my server goes above and beyond though, I usually try to tip anywhere from 20 to 25%, which a lot of people would say is a little overboard, but I used to be in their shoes, and I know how it feels to not get a decent tip after busting your ass for someone.

In my job, my thing is customer compliments. The more I get, the better they see me as someone who not only can do his job well, but also has the ability to please the customer so much that they feel the need to tell the boss of the outstanding job he does. To date, I have been at this job for 8 months, and I have had 11 customer compliments. I don't mind it seeming so low, because it adds up to more than 1 a month, and some people who have been here longer have nowhere near that much.

Keep this in mind the next time you are getting service from someone, whether it be tech support, or your sever at the restaurant you frequent. We're nice to you because we have to be, and we are there to provide you with a good experience. If you cross us, beware the consequences ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A-men from a part time food service worker....although i'd never do the things in the movie....I've dealt with some really rude customers.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home