Wednesday, April 05, 2006

How to Eat Mo' Po'

Only those closest to me know that I am currently struggling through financial hardships. Being hired into the company I work for full time is only going to capitalize this until I get at least my second or third paycheck. With that in mind, I am sharing my grocery list for the past few weeks and the next few weeks, entitled, How to Eat Mo' Po'.

In going to the grocery store, I rarely ever spend more than twenty dollars. With what I buy, there isn't a need to. I make sure I'm stocked on bread, soft drinks, lunch meat, rice, ramen noodles, sometimes milk, spaghetti noodles, and sometimes other amenities if money allows.

My menu for the past few days has been ramen noodles twice a day, then two sandwiches at work, and then repeat the next day.

As far as price goes, the bread costs me about 69 cents a loaf, ramen noodles are 10 cents each, soft drinks are $1.99 per 12 pack, lunch meat is 5 packs for $2.00 ( which makes 2 sandwiches per pack), rice is about $1.28 a box, and milk I get for about $2.69. You can see how far you can stretch 20 dollars....lol.

I bring this up because I hear people always complain about how they have no money, everywhere I seem to go, but they always seem to be going out to dinner, or I'll see them eating Taco Bell or McDonalds. That seems like having money to me. I say, if you can afford to go out to eat, you don't need to be complaining about money. If you're eating like I do however, complain all you want. I might have to up my grocery allowance to 25 dollars a month, because what I am eating isn't enough, and I'm always feeling hungry, which gives me headaches, and makes me cranky.

That, my friends, is how to Eat Mo' Po'!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao....you are crazy! Your sodium intake is probably through the roof! That's not healthy.....you aren't getting enough veggies or protein in your po' but proud diet. I have been fortunate because when I was that Po' I had family that I could count on to make sure that I didn't go hungry. You should consider getting with your roomie and pooling your funds getting stuff that you can both eat that would branch out into all the levels of the food pyramid. :-)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come from a strong Southern family that lives by the rule If there is food in the house anyone who is hungry may have it. Has your roomie offered other options than Ramen noodles 2 times a day? If so you do not have to eat them 2 times a day. That is your choice. A very unhealthy choice. I understand what it is like to be broke, very broke. I am one of the fortunate ones who has a family that pushes food at me as I am walking out the door. They order way more than they will ever eat when they are out so they can send it right home with me, or even go through the drive thru with me there so they know I am eating something other than Ramen noodles and box macaroni and cheese. Sometimes they even hand me the cash to purchase something they know I like and enjoy such as a delivery pizza or chineese. I will not even go into going grocery shopping with them. It is an experience and I am very greatful to have them in my life. As far as living "po" it is not something I wish on anyone, but is good to know you can survive on 20 dollars if you have too.

2:32 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

redneckgirl - I don't think I'm getting enough veggies either. Or enough Steak ;)


hard2stop - I grew up in a family quite the opposite. If there was somehting in the refridgerator you didn't pay for, then by God you better not eat it....lol. My roomie, bless her little heart, has offered me some food, but I feel bad if I eat all of her food. So she probably is offended that I won't devour all the goods in her kitchen, but you know, you can't break what you've been raised with...lol.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindtwister-- I understand about people who are raised differently. Most everyone was raised with different rules and expectations because we all have different parents. Unless you are siblings then parents change the rules from one child to the next. Rule of thumb if your "roomie" offers you food more than once take them up on it. If you continue to turn down or what appears to be turing down thier good will they will be offended. I know I would. You may feel bad at first but it will lessen especially once you are able to contribute more It is better than killing yourself with prepackaged cardboard noodles covered in salt.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindtwister...I am sorry to hear about your financial situation and honor you independence. My thought is people live beyond their means or they really have the extra cash to enjoy the eating out conviences even if it is fast food. I have had to sacrifice eating sometimes to afford to feed my children or buy diapers. Somehow we have always been fortunate to have food, shelter, and clothes to wear. Back to the basics baby! Society pumps us with material wants and many take for granted being able to buy food. Be thankful for what you have and you'll be just fine.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived on noodles and hotdogs a time or two before and it's not fun, but you do what you have to do.
I always wondered why junk food was cheaper then healthy foods (when buying at the grocery store), but if you can, I'd throw in some vegies and fruit. AND, if your room mate offers you food .. TAKE IT! lol One day you may be able to return the favour.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home