Thursday, March 30, 2006

Phrase Craze

As most of you know, I have wanted to show the origins and/or definitions of phrases I have never heard before, and I got to hear one today.

The Phrase is "Calling you on the carpet". So upon looking it up, I found this very interesting bit of information:

Called on the Carpet: To be held accountable for a mistake, offense, or a lie.

In military parlance, called on the carpet refers to having to present oneself to a superior officer, report at attention and receive a disciplining for some offense. Sometimes a defense is allowed, but often, the communication is quite simple, clear, and unidirectional, with the recipient being forced to stand at attention while the abuse takes place.

Although no longer true, there was a time when only the top officershad carpet in their offices. Hence the carpet referred to the office of a senior officer.

Now I have heard this phrase, I know what it means, and I may possibly have use for it one day :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home