Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Little Information

Well, I'm sure this will definitely be an interesting topic tonight. I started thinking about it when I went to take my drug test today.

Let me start with a little background info about me. I have this thing about public restrooms. I can't go in them unless I am absolutely alone. If somoene walks in, I can't go. If I think somoene is going to walk in, I can't go. If someone is in the stall, and I'm standing at the urinal, I can't go.

I have to be completely and utterly alone in there....period.

I have went so long without going before that I was in physical pain from it, because I could not find a place to urinate in private.

I recently found that this condition is called Paruresis, and that it affects over 17 million Americans. I find this condition, even though I have not been diagnosed with it, to be very annoying at times. Upon further reading on the subject, I understand now how I got my case of it, and exactly where it came from.

Experts say that most people get it as children, either by being hurried or made fun of when they go to the restroom.

They also say that this is a social phobia, being defined as "a strong fear of embarassment or humiliation in a social setting and the fear one will judge one's performance."

I can completely relate to this, as I have been there many times in my early years. I now have a complex about the restroom that affects the way I am around people in a bathroom setting.

The only reason I decided to share all of this in the first place is because I went and had my drug test done today. Normally, this is a long and extinuatin process for both the lab techs and myself.
Today, it went a bit differently. I went in, filled out the usual forms, got called back, and went with no problems. Hopefully this means by knowing about it that maybe I can somehow do something about it.

And that's the end of this little information session. As the Greeks say.....so there you go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you have taken the time to research this condition, sometimes we can diagnosis ourselve! Increasing your knowledge on this helped you to face it head on. It may not sound like a big accomplished to some people, but it truely was! Way to go. I suffer from some "mental" things myself and the more I am aware of them, the better tools I can gain on how to deal with them.

8:06 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

I think it has helped me out a little. Just knowing I'm not alone is a huge step. I would like to get better, and I think it would be possible, but my condition isn't really all that bad. I would say it is a mild case at the most.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home