Sunday, October 16, 2005

"Down" With The Sickness

This would be the way I can describe the hell that was life tonight. I was literally down with the sickness, just when I thought I had it beat.

It happens like this...I get to work, feeling kinda nasty and still sick, but hey, I'm needing the money. I take some knockoff Wal-Tussin cough medicine with me, because even though I still feel sick, mainly the cough is the worst of it...at the time.

I'll say right now that I've never been one for "recommended dosages", and that they normally never mean anything to me.

I drank the whole bottle of the cough syrup within a 2 hour period. The first thing I noticed was a bit of giddiness, and I knew something was amiss....but it felt good....no need to worry just yet.

Next, I started sweating like a pig in an oven on easter. Then I start to lose my focus, meaning that I literally cannot see what's in front of me. It starts all jumbling together and moving around, which , of course, is when the inevitable motion sickness kicks in, and I start really feeling sick.

You know when you aren't feeling good, and that wave of nausea kicks in, every little movement seems to make you feel sick...this is what I had going on.

I went into "work" on the phone systems at that time, because I could not take another call....not yet. I went to get a drink of water from the fountain, hoping it would make me feel better, but it doesn't. I then go to the restroom to splash water on my face, and I see myself in the mirror, and I look pale. I haven't seen my face that white in a very long time.

I realize then that I will be sick....not maybe, not possibly...I know it will happen eventually, so I make my plans for an exit. I tell a supervisor that I'm not feeling good and I need to leave. He says ok, and that he needs am email letting him know what times I work and what time I left....not an easy thing to accomplish for someone who can't focus on anything.

I managed to wobble back to my desk, and even somehow managed to send the email and shut everything down and get out of the building alive.

I got into my truck and started heading home. I made it to the expressway between Fairdale and New Cut Rd, when I started to feel the inevitable, so I pulled over and stopped. After doing what I knew it was I had to do, I got back in the truck and just lay my head against the glass of the drivers side window, which was soothing in its own way.

Now, you'll remember I wrote about my focus being off. With me driving and not really being able to see that well in front of me, I knew I was in trouble. About a half an hour after I first stopped on the expressway, I started going again, only to need to pull over again after New Cut Rd.

I didn't get sick this time, but I couldn't get focused enough to keep driving. I lay my head against the glass and fell asleep for about a half an hour. Then I woke up and started going again, this time only stopping right after Stonestreet.

At Stonestreet, I slept again for another half an hour, and tried again making it home. The next time I stopped was on the Greenbelt, right around Greenwood Rd. I was mad because I was so close to being home, but just could not continue driving for fear of wrecking. I slept another half an hour there, then woke up and finally went home.

I left work tonight at 7:35, and got home at 10:00. I live 20 minutes away from work. You do the math.

When I got home, I came in, didn't turn on any lights, didn't remove any clothing, I just crashed. What's worse is that when I tried to lie down, I misjudged where I was in the dark and completely missed the bed, falling on the floor. After being on the floor for a couple of minutes, I decided that it really would be in my best interest to get in the bed, and so I did, clothes, shoes and everything still on.

I woke up some time later and I could still taste the metallic taste one has after getting sick, and a migraine from hell to boot. I got up and stumbled to the bathroom and got me some advils, took the recommended dosage and went back to bed.

I awoke again due to the phone ringing, and after talking awhile, decided to share this bit of information with anyone who may read here.

I still feel a bit dizzy, a bit groggy, and I still have a headache, but I do have most of my focus back. I'll be going back to bed here shortly, but I wanted to write this before any kind of details left my mind.

I know now, that I will always be following the recommended dosages for everything drug related, so as not have another incident like this. It was scary, and it cost me money in the end.

Tomorrow, I more than likely will laugh about this...lol, but for now,its back to bed I go, to finish healing up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweetie, I'm so sorry that you were so sick and that this horrible event happened to you! I am glad that you are better and I look forward to talking to you soon!

Muah! LOL

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home