Thursday, October 13, 2005

Tech Support

Technical Support is a tricky thing to do. You have to talke to people all day long who cannot connect to the internet. Most of them are frustrated and know nothing about the operations of their equipment. Some of them think they know a lot, and they are equally frustrated because they can't figure out what's wrong, and they blame our equipment before checking their own most times.

With this stage set, you can see how it would be easy for a person in our positions to become frustrated with the customers. I myself only get frustrated, although the customer would never be able to tell, with the ones who need their hand held through every little click and movement on the pc. It amazes me how much inability to think before speaking really takes effect there.

For instance, you should know that if you unplug the power from a lamp, that the light will go out. Unless there is a miracle happening at that precise moment that you unplug the lamp, you *know* the light will go out. This isn't so with the case of some of my customers.

It frustrates me when a network engineer calls and can't get online, and swears he has done everything he could think of in order to get back online, then we unplug and plug back in his router, and the connection magically fixes itself.

Through all of this frustration going between both the customer and myself, I simply remember that I'm here to do a job, and part of my job involves being courteous and nice to the customer, no matter how dumb I really think they are. They never hear my level of frustration, as they shouldn't have to.

With that said, know that if you end up getting me in tech support, I will not belittle you or degrade you. I can explain things on the most elementary of levels, so much that I could make a chimp understand. I will treat you the way I would expect to be treated if I were in the same situation.

Thought for the day, I guess...lol


Edited post because I forgot to add the word will....lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home