Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Weekend - Sunday


We got up early on Sunday because we had to go to church.

Before I go any further, let me say that I can count on my fingers the number of times I had been ion a church for an actual service that wasn't a wedding or some other function other than worship. When I was younger, I had issues with God, and decided to try other options. I have since seen that those were the wrong ways.

However, I was always nervous in churches....like I would be struck down just for going into one.

We go to church and afterwards, redneckgirl, her mother, her grandmother, and myself go to O'Charley's.

After we ate, we took her grandmother home, and then her mother.

Then we went to watch mustangscarlett play softball, and stayed a chatted with her for awhile after it was over.

Then after that, we went to visit my sisters grave.

This is particularly hard for me to do, because I feel bad for not having done it before.

My sister was taken from this world 27 years ago. I have only visited her, until Sunday, 2 or 3 times. Suddenly I felt guilty. I felt like I had not given enough of my time or love to her memory, and it tore me apart inside.

We went and I found her grave automatically. I cleaned off the stone and as soon as I did, I started crying uncontrollably. I didn't know what was coming over me, but I couldn't stop crying.

Redneckgirl put her arm around me and consoled me as best she could without crying.

I told my sister I was sorry for neglecting her memory for so long, and that I promised I would be with her more often. I told her I loved her and told her sorry over and over again.

We left after about a half an hour, me still crying and driving, and redneckgirl telling me her thoughts on why I was feeling the way I did, and what we could do about it.

Then we went back to her house, picked up her mother and her sister and went shopping at Meijers.

I picked up a couple of bouquets of plastic flowers and a little teddy bear with a little Halloween sweater on it to put on my sisters stone. After the shopping, I took the three of them home. Then I went to visit my mother, whom I had been having issues with over some of her habits, so to speak.

I let her know I visited my sister, and told her how much I care for her, and that I didn't want to end up burying her, and that she needed to stop these particular bad habits she had been doing.

We talked for awhile, and she ended up sending me home with food, like she always does, and she let me have some silverware, as I lost mine in one of my moves.

I went home, and then talked to redneckgirl for awhile. She invited me back over, and I went and hung out there while the kids were sleeping.

She further consoled me and held me, and I ended up falling asleep on her.

I went home later on and went to bed.

After she got off of work on Monday, her and I went back to my sisters grave and placed the flowers in the vase and attached the bear to that vase with a rubber band.

I broke down again, but not as bad this time.

I have always had a hard time showing emotion to people because I was raised up to believe that real men don't cry. They don't show those emotions. I was raised up that you were weak if you cried.

I realize now that real men do cry...they do show their emotions and aren't afraid not to because of what people think.

I want to thank you all for reading this. I had tears in my eyes writing this as well. If you think I'm weak.....well....that's what you think I suppose. I'll not try to change your mind.

I hope you all have a great day.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

Weak? Are you kidding? You're human, and you're having human emotions and to me, that shows what a loving person you must be. I'm sorry for the loss of your sister. If I read the dates correct, she was only but a toddler. :(

It's wonderful you have such a caring person to help you through the stuff you're dealing with lately. And from what I can tell after reading your blog for awhile now, you'd reciprocate in a heartbeat.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Not once have I thought you to be a weak person. If anything, I find you to be quite passionate. Thank you for sharing this, I know it wasn't easy but you know you've got a good place here among friends. I'm glad you have RG, she's just the best girl ever.

9:23 AM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

I know it was difficult and you feel guilty.....but you shouldn't your sister knows how much you love her and that you have thought of her often.

I am glad that you realizing that crying doesn't make you weak.....like rach said it makes you human.

As far as your mom is concerned....it's good you all talked and I think it's only going to getting better from here. :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

rach - thanks for the kind words. It's good to know that people out there understand more than I thought they would. As far as my sister, yes, she was only 2 years old when we lost her. Since you've noticed the dates, you'll also notice a single date on there as well, along with another name. That is of my nephew that was never born. one of my sisters lost him before she was supposed to even have him, and he never had a chance. She decided to bury him with Dana. I am very happy to have redneckgirl by my side, and you are right...I would reciprocate in a heartbeat....anything she needs or wants, I would try my best to provide.

pinky - Thanks again pinky for the kind words. It's good to know people don't think I'm a freak after reading this. You are very right when you say redneckgirl is the best girl ever :)

redneckgirl - I have felt guilty for years because I haven't visited her much after all the time she's been there. It tears me up to know this day in and day out now. I hope she knows how much I love her, and she isn't mad I stayed away for so long. Thanks for convincing me that I shouldn't stay mad at her and that I needed to talk to her. You really are the best ever. I love you completely.

brian - it's like this. I don't think it's any secret that I am in love with her. Everyone who has read my blog knows I would willingly lay my life on the line for her, all she would have to do is ask. As far as us being together, I'm gonna let her answer that, because she is more suited for that question. Iam starting to realize that more people cry than the old step bastard let on. I oughta go hurt him for making me believe it was weak to cry.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Orlando said...

Believe me I know where you are coming from. My father passed away a little over 10 years ago from a car accident. I was 14 at the time and just started high school. Me and my mom visited his grave often, usually every Sunday up until about 6 years ago. The last time I visited him was me and my wife's first Christmas together. Haven't been there since and I don't know why. Every now and again I'll hear or see something that reminds me of him and I'll have a sudden rush of quilt swarm all over me for not having visited him these past 6 years. I've also been debating on whether or not to take my daughter to go visit his grave. Point is, as everyone here has told you, your sister knows. It's OK to have those feelings. It's natural and don't worry about feeling like less of a man for crying. I got teary eyed by just watching Van Halen finally getting back together with Sammy Hagar and hearing my favorite songs. lol. Sorry...weird, huh?

12:28 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

You're far from weak. It takes a lot to cry, and let emotions out. Keeping them bottled up only complicates things. Grief is such a difficult thing. Death never gets easier. You never really get used to someone being gone, you just learn to deal. Having faith truly does make things easier. I'm proud of you for going to church, and thankful you have such loving and supporting friends to help you through the bad times as well as the good :0)

12:50 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

orlando - lol @ the Van Halen thing. It is strange how we just stop visiting our loved ones like that. Seems kind of odd, and we never seem to know why we stop.

miss1999 - thanks for the kind words and welcome to my blog :)

I'm happy there are people out there who understand that even after so long this is still very hard. I think that I might have blocked it out as a kid, and now just thinking about her as much as I have been fills me with the guilt of not having been to see her.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home