Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Walk To Remember

I was downtown in our fair city the other day, and for some reason I was in a big funk. I was depressed and I couldn't figure out why.

I went down to the waterfront, which has some places for people to walk and jog near the river. It also has a park for the kiddos too.

I was walking along one of these paths and I found a baseball, so I picked it up.

I continued walking along with the baseball, and I passed a man sitting on a bench. As I passed him, he told me that I was walking at the right pace. I asked what he meant, and he told me that most people he had seen were walking by very quickly, or jogging through, never stopping once to take in the scenery.

He said that there had to be more to life than what they were doing, and it made me start thinking, and he's right. Hardly anyone evers stops for just a minute to enjoy what is in front of them.

He then asked about the baseball. I told him I found it behind the park, and he said that it may have been hit out of the baseball field that is located nearby.

He stood up and asked me to throw it to him, which I did. Then we just sat there for a few more minutes tossing the ball back and forth to each other....two complete strangers. I never even had this kind of interaction with any of the guys I've ever called stepdad before. But here I was with someone I had met minutes earlier, doing one of the many things I never did as a kid...tossing a baseball around.

He then tossed it back to me one last time and said thanks, that he had needed that. I returned the thanks and was on my way again, with a little lighter spring in my step.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

What a wonderful way to make your day. I agree with that man .. people are in much to much of a hurry these days and forget to enjoy what's around them. I'm guilty of it too, and often have to remember that it's the daily things that make our life rounded and whole.

9:45 AM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

I think that was a wonderful exchange between two strangers....thank you for sharing.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story. I'm glad that you got to pause along the way and do something so special. Just wonderful.

10:04 AM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

I'm glad I could share this with you all. It was strange yet moving at the same time :)

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home