Friday, September 15, 2006

My Brokedown Truck Part 2

In my last post, I had let you all know that my truck had broken down and was incapacitated. The fuel pump had gone bad and needed to be replaced.

Well.

Now it's back again and driving ok as far as I can tell. There is a little more to the story though.

I called the place earlier this morning and asked how it was all going, and they told me they would be done in a half an hour. I wait and 2 hours later they call me to tell me it was finished. I asked how much the total was, and he told me $742.00. I asked him why it was that high, and he told me it was because not only did he find that the pump was bad, but there was also a corroded ring, and 2 leaks in the fuel line. I bet this is why my mileage hasn't been exactly stellar....lol!

I told him I couldn't afford that and that he should have called before fixing it. He then told me that without those repairs that I wouldn't have been able to drive away. Once again, I told him that I didn't have $700.00.

He then did something I have NEVER, EVER seen a mechanic do. He said he would write some of the repais up to customer service, and asked if I could afford $682.00. I said I could do that (barely) and he said that would be the final cost.

I went and paid it, then proceeded to drive it home.

I was just stunned by that gesture of kindness. You don't see that a lot in his line of work, and he could have told me I couldn't pick it up until after I paid the full amount, which would have been 2 weeks later.

Needless to say, that kindness was the sign I had been looking for, and now I can say I officially now have a mechanic to work on my truck from now on.

WoooHoooo!!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

Wow, what a kind gesture! You're right .. you don't find that that often in ANY line of business, let alone from a mechanic. I'm glad you're running up to par now and hopefully in the long run, it'll save you money on gas and whatnot.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I hope it was kindness and not a mechanic realizng he was going to get busted for doing unauthorized work! Not to be a wet blanket! I'm sorry!! Bad day, but I am glad that your truck is up and running!!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

rach - not up to par yet, but I'm working on it :)

pinky - I don't think that's what it was. He did say that he should have called first, and I just told him I didn't have the money, and he figured out that solution for me. His kindness got him a regular though :)

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home