Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Piracy is Necessary

That's right. I said it. I think piracy is absolutaly critical to the world of consumerism.

I know what people say. Piracy is wrong, and bad, and also illegal. Think about this scenario.

You go into a record stor, or a movie store, or a game store and you give your hard earned dollars for a product you think is going to be worth it, only to be let down by a mediocre movie, a subpar video game, or a CD with only one good song on it.

Now how many of you got mad because that's happened? I know I have countless times. Until I either figured out who could find me what I wanted for free, or where I could find it myself, I was in that hopeless trap.

Now, I get to test almost anything before I buy it.

No longer do I have to pay hard earned money for a CD (which only costs about 10 cents to make), with only one good song on it. No longer do I have to buy a mediocre DVD that I wouldn't have paid to even see in the theaters, and no longer will subpar video games be among my list of things that anger me.

I think piracy is a way for the smart consumer to make smart choices about what to buy, without having to read biased or paid off editorials and reviews. It also helps stick it a little to those in power over prices of said items, and sends them a message: "We are tired of inflated prices on crappy products and we won't stand for it any longer"

Yeah, maybe it is illegal, but price gouging should be as well.

I know that the artists lose a little money, so the recording industry says, but musicians make most of the money they get from proceeds of their concerts. Movies make a great deal of their money from box office sales, although the sales from DVD's are catching up, and video games are a poorly designed model as far as consumers are concerned anyway.

Think about it like this. I can't stand the greed from these 3 industries. The one I hate the most is the RIAA. They have sunk so low with prosecuting children and dead people that I don't think that they have any redeeming value anymore. One thing I did like about the whole music thing was the kiosks set up in store that you could actually listen to the music on. Those were a great idea. Movies are either on or off, the only samples you get to see is in the trailers, and everyone knows you only get to see the best parts in the trailers, which leaves the rest of the movie kind of dry in most cases. Video games are the worst. All you get is a short video showing you the game in action and in some cases you get a demo to play, which should come with all games.

Basically, they have made it all but accessible as far as sampling goes and being able to try it before you buy it.

Perhaps I would think piracy wasn't needed if they would work "with" the consumer base instead of fighting us all. Until then, I raise my middle finger to them in spite and do whatever I have to do to ensure I get a great deal and you should too :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I have bought many of those CD's that I only liked one song. I think there is nothing wrong with it. You end up paying for it in a different way anyways. i mean look you buy an mp3 player for what $100 to $500 shouldnt you get the songs for free. I think so. Instead they charge you another $.99 per song and your ipod holds like 240 or something. I dont think so. I'll just download my songs from the internet.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you! I can't remember the last CD or DVD I actually bought...lol

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home