Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A New Plan!

As many of you know, I have trouble with finances. For awhile, I thought I had them under control, but I realize now that I don't any longer.

I have been down about this all night, and in my funk of funks, I have devised a plan that will help me tremendously with regaining control of my money.

Before I describe what that is, you'll need to know a few things. Many times I'll end up with no money, and cannot remember where or when I spent the cash. This led me to think that maybe I should have all of my transactions documented.

I thought of checks, but I can't get a bank account (don't ask....long story), so I'll have to go with money orders.

Which leads to the plan. And the plan is simply this:

Anywhere I go, and for everything I use money for, I'm going to get a receipt. I'm not going to pay cash at all for anything but groceries, gas, and fast food. I can get documentation right away for all of that.

Everything else is going to be paid by money order. Any and all bills except phone since they give me an in store receipt, rent, car payments, etc...

I know the money orders cost a bit of money, but they will help immensely in tracking my spending habits, and will achieve what it is I need to achieve, and that's to find out where it's going.

Basically, if I spend it, it will be documented, with the exception of my laptop. I only have 2 more payments on that, and I'm not going to make the guy start giving me documentation now.

So, let me know what you think of it, pros and cons, and if you think it will be effective or if it's a waste of effort and thought.

Have a great day!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea. After you elimanate your debt, and I dont know if you have any but i assume because we all have some sort of debt, you can figure out a budget and start saving. Or actually before, you can document how much money you spend on everything, then you will know how much money you will have left over and what not.

Good luck and keep us updated on how its going.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the money order idea is great......I also remember some very wise and not half bad looking woman telling you to write down every purchase even the small ones....and that will help as well.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have money issues so I will give you a word of advice if you don't need it don't spend it also try putting money in envolpes for your bills seal them it makes it easier not to open them.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The finance people say to do just that! Also,they say if you don't have a receipt,to write down what you spend and keep the info in your wallet,tallying it up at the end of the week.
Be prepared for the shock,lol My hubby and I used to blow a $1000 bucks a month until we reigned ourselves in,yikes!

Good luck,good luck to you:)

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home