Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Workin' The Tree

Over the weekend. redneckgirl, hard2stop, and I worked the Angel Tree at one of our local malls. For those not familiar with this, we set up 4 tables with the names of children who are needy this holiday season. Then when people approach, we ask them if they would like to adopt an angel. If they say yes, then we try and help them select a name from the table. When they select a name, we get them to sign up and give them the angel and the bag that comes with it. Then they shop for things the children want or need and bring it back. We then check it in and sign them off of the list. They can take their angel ornament home and hang it on their tree, or leave it hanging on the angel tree.

We put in 4 hours there, and I must say it has done something tremendoous to me. Before going in, I was, and have always been under the assumption that most people have no kindness, nothing to give, and definitely not a charitable nature to them. I was proven wrong.

The masses of people who came out to help were astounding. My outlook on humans and humanity have changed drastically. I have seen something I had never seen before in others.

Actually, I have been seeing that more this year than any, with redneckgirl's kind heart and her eyes and just her nature. She is the embodiment of charity and she isn't afraid to show it.

I have seen it in hard2stop, who took me into her home and gave me a place to stay.

I have seen it in many of my blogger friends, who have been very kind to me, supportive and encouraging.

And I saw it in droves on Saturday. I can honestly say that people are not as bad as I had thought, and I'm extremely happy I was wrong.

After we worked the Angel Tree, redneckgirl and I picked out a special little angel and we spent about $50 on her for some toys, clothes, and a coat.

Hard2stop picked out one for her, and one for her mother, and did the shopping for the both of them.

I know for a fact that we'll be doing this again next year. Both the working and the shopping, but hopefully more children. This is exactly what I needed to fill me with the Christmas Spirit and to make me feel more human than I have in a long time.

I encourage everyone to go out and do this next year. Trust me, it is a wonderful feeling to do this, and to know that you have made a difference in someone else's life :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your time and heart. All we ever hear about is the bad things.

5:11 PM  
Blogger mindtwister said...

it's all about the kids. They deserve it, so I'm more than happy to put some free time in to make a difference :)

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home