Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Spot of Good News

I have taken care of one of the problems that was causing my truck to use so much gas. I have 2 new front tires, and I must say, the truck drives like a new one again.

It no longer fights me to stay straight, doesn't try to make right turns on its own any longer, and actually has better gas mileage.

It wasn't easy getting here though. Let me tell you why.

My truck has P235/75R16 size tires on it. As some of you may or may not know, this was a popular size tire back in the early 90's. However, auto manufacturers have now made a 16" tire the standard as far as SUV's go, and once that happened, the tire companies pretty much stopped stocking 15" tires.

Or that particular size of 15" tires anyway.

My mom called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that she has 4 of the tires I need. I was elated. Not only did I not have to look all over town to find the tires, but I got them for free too.

Last Friday I went to her house and picked up the tires and drove straight to Big O. I had them tell me the price to get the tires mounted and balanced, and how much it would cost to dispose of the old tires, which came out to be roughly $41 for 2 tires.

This was going to be great. I would get the tires for free, and it was going to be cheaper than I thought to get them put on.

So I waited. I was in the waiting room when the guy working on my truck comes in and tells me that I can't have those tires on my truck. I ask why and he tells me that each tire has more than 1 puncture mark in the sidewall. Looks as though someone had taken out their anger on those poor tires.

What was I to do now?

As I said, the size tires I have are hard to come by used at any tire store, because they are in high demand, and almost every one that comes in goes right back out again the same day.

The guys checked for me, even though we all knew what the outcome would be. Of course they had no tires in that size...they never do anymore.

I told the guys to put the old tires back on, and that I would have to risk a blowout or whatever else the tires had in store for me.

Before they put the old ones back on, the manager came out and got the model information of my truck, then went to look something up. He came back out with a suggestion that we go to smaller tires, which were actually supposed to have come standard on the truck to begin with.

It only cost me $15 more, so I got them put on, and I will going back soon to get the back tires replaced for an even better ride.

Here's to sticking it to the man through better gas mileage :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home