Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's Been Awhile Part 2

Ok, so last I left off, I had been sent home from the hospital with no pain meds, and I had scheduled an appointment with my doctor for the very next day.

I went in and they sat me up on the little table and took my blood pressure and heart rate...you know, all of those good things. Then the doctor walked in with my charts and told me that he was putting me back into the hospital. He said I should have not been released yet, and that my condition was not finished creating chaos in my life.

This time I was admitted to the hospital right next to the docs office, and I stayed there until October 30th. The room was much more extravagant than the one I had previously at the other hospital, with lots of room, a better bed, and a nice HD TV...not a big one, but still nice :)

I also had a wifi connection there, but couldn't get online much because I would get nauseated looking at the screen due to the sheer amount of drugs I was on.

After a couple of days, I had been getting almost daily visits from 3 doctors. They drew labs and had CT scans done to me, and let me know that the reason I was there was because my pancreas had decided to start eating itself, as the triglycerides were so high and had no place to go. I lost a little over a third of my pancreas. They said in order to get it to stop, they fist had to get my levels down to a manageable level. Unfortunately for me, the only way to do that was to connect a PICC line to me and feed me TPN via a feeding tube. That also meant that I didn't get to eat any "real" food during this time either. They kept me there and I dealt with the ups and downs of being in that place...It would be ok when I had visitors, but the times when I was all by myself in that room led to deep bouts of depression.


I wanted out and I wanted off of that stupid bag too. But it wasn't time for that yet. By the time October 30th came around, I did whatever I had to do to get them to let me go home that evening. Redneckgirl had gone and learned how to use the pump for a portable TPN bag as well as the steps to change it every day. I gotta say, she would be not only an awesome nurse, but a smokin' hot one as well!

I lived on nothing but the bag until a few days before Thanksgiving, when one of my docs said I could start trying real food again. Soon after that, I was off of the bag, and trying to regain my stamina back.

During the whole ordeal I had lost 21 lbs and my muscles atrophied badly. One of my TPN nurses said I had the body of a 70 year old man, and that it would take awhile to get it back to where it should be. I'm still actively dealing with that aspect. I don't have the stamina yet that I used to, but it is getting better.

As you can see, it has been a hard road and an even harder thing to accept that I am not invincible or bulletproof; that I can be hurt just like anyone else. Dealing with that fact on a day to day basis is hard to do, but I am learning, and I'll keep posting about what's going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home